Batista or Eaton?

Former Blue Jay Miguel Batista got his piece of the giant free agent pie, reportedly signing a three-year, $24 million contract with the Mariners.

And, as everyone knows, Adam Eaton also signed a three-year $24 million contract, though with the Phillies.

But how do they match up as players?

Batista:

  • Signed through his age 36-39 seasons
  • Posted an ERA+ between 101 and 136 from 2001-2006
  • His peripherals, namely his his WHIP totals and poor FIP totals, indicate that those ERA+ totals might not reflect his true performance
  • He's only topped 200 IP once, in 2006 with the Diamondbacks, though he's pitched 184 or more innings in four seasons (2002-2004, 2006)
  • Despite his relatively low IP totals, he's rarely missed significant time due to injury
Eaton:
  • Signed through his age 29-31 seasons
  • Has only had an ERA+ above 100 once, in 2000 with the Padres
  • Prior to 2006, his FIP totals suggest he should've posted much better ERAs
  • He's never topped 200 IP, and has pitched more than 135 innings only twice (2003-2004)
  • His low IP totals are largely a result of his many injuries
Taking those and perhaps other, hopefully objective factors into account, whom would rather have on your team for the next three years, Miguel Batista or Adam Eaton?