Wells is About to Sign an Extension

Ken Rosenthal reports that Vernon Wells is on the brink of signing a 7-year, $126 million extension with the Blue Jays. One item of note is that the contract, like the one given to A.J. Burnett, includes an opt-out clause.

In one of the bigger upsets of the off-season, the Blue Jays are on the verge of signing center fielder Vernon Wells to a seven-year, $126 million contract extension.

An agreement between the Jays and Wells is close, according to major-league sources. The deal is expected to include full no-trade protection and an opt-out clause.

*

The deal also would reflect positively on Wells, who could have commanded a much bigger payout - perhaps as big as 10 years, $200 million - as a free agent next winter.

Wells, 28, will earn $5.6 million in 2007. His new contract would run from `08 to `14, and his ability to void the deal probably would come after year three or year four.