Reactions to the Molina Acquisition

As expected, sports sections were flush with articles about Monday's signing of Bengie Molina. In my opinion, there's nothing really noteworty in most of the ones I read. Other than the obligatory quotes praising Molina, the articles mostly include tidbits about his frustrating offseason and his career accomplishments.

Here are some links:

Jays catch an ace in Molina | Allan Ryan, Toronto Star
Blue Jays land Molina | Mike Rutsey, Toronto Sun
Molina catches on with Toronto | Jeff Blair, Globe & Mail
Molina Ends Up With Blue Jays | Mike DiGiovanna, Los Angeles Times

Also, well-respected espn.com writer Rob Neyer was posed a question about the signing during yesterday's SportsNation chat:

jfk: do you think the jays signing of molina was a good one? i am not sure, i thought zaun did a nice job for us last year. i would have spent the money upgrading LF or RF i think.

Rob Neyer: I think if the Jays could have upgraded right field for $6 million, they might have done it. But this is a nice, short-term and (relatively) low-cost move, and represents a real upgrade. I still don't think they've caught the Yankees and Red Sox. But again they've inched a bit closer.

Neyer, much like many others in the online baseball community, touts the acquisition as a significant upgrade at the catcher's position. However, he doesn't explain why the move represents a significant upgrade. I'm not opposed to those who defend the move, as it certainly has its merits, but I have yet to come across a compelling argument as to why Molina is significantly better than Gregg Zaun. I sent Mr. Neyer a question asking him to elaborate on his stance, but alas, my question was lost among the hundreds, if not thousands, of questions he likely received that morning.