Game Recap: Cincinnati vs Toronto - March 7th, 2006

W: Halladay (1-1)
L: Milton (0-1)

Full Box Score

Sixth game into this spring's Grapefruit League action, Toronto finally broke through and won that elusive first exhibition victory. Toronto Ace Roy Halladay, in his second start this spring, pitched like the Doc we have grown accustomed to seeing; he faced the minimum number of hitters through 3 innings (on a single to ex-Jay Felipe Lopez, who was subsequently caught stealing). Halladay was also extremely economic with his pitches, throwing only 25 pitches in his 3 innings of work. I know it is only the second week of spring training, but he is already establishing that invincible aura that he possesses.

Offensively, Shea Hillenbrand led the way with a three-run bomb in the first inning off Eric Milton, which was his first this spring. John-Ford Griffin continued to swing a hot bat this spring as he went 2 for 2 with a double, a RBI and a walk. Could he pull a Gabe Gross and force the hands of the Jays management? The answer will be uncovered in 3 short weeks. Curtis Thigpen also had a notable performance at the plate today, going 2 for 3 with two doubles and a RBI.

Tomorrow, the Jays will go right back to work with split squad games as A.J. Burnett is scheduled to start against the Cleveland Indians while Casey Janssen will make the start against the Houston Astros.

Latest News