8/22 Minor League Summary; Santos L. Halper

Jays Organizational Player of the Day:
Sergio Santos

Sergio Santos is a shortstop we received as a throw in when we traded O-dog and Miguel Batista for Troy Glaus. Santos was a top prospect for Arizona once as he was a 1st round draft pick out of high school in 2002. He performed well at each level until hitting a wall in AAA due to strike zone judgment.

After his first year in AAA where he had a line of .239/.288/.367 he managed to worsen that with a .214/.254/.299 season with Syracuse. The Blue Jays organization sent him to start this season with AA with New Hampshire. He had a brief stint in AAA again but was sent down again once Hector Luna was sent down. So far he has had good power numbers with a .253/.326/.488 season.

I don't like him as a prospect. He strikes out an awful lot and a .253 batting average in AA isn't exactly stellar. He is no longer considered a prospect by most and though he will have great nights sometimes he will also have a lot of bad ones.

Syracuse 3, Rochester 1
Adam Lind had golden sombrero on a tough night. Banks was tough going 7 innings with a run allowed (via the home run) and with just 2 Ks and gets the JotG.
New Hampshire 12, New Britain 0
JotG: Ty Taubenheim and Sergio Santos. Taubenheim went 8 shutout innings while striking out 5 and giving up only 2 hits. Santos went 3 for 4 with 2 home runs and 3 RBI.

Dunedin 11, Fort Myers 6
Brandon Magee allowed just 2 runs in 7 innings but struck out just two. JotG goes to Kyle Phillips who was 3 for 5 with 3 doubles and 3 RBI.

Lansing 6, South Bend 3
JotG: Jonathan Diaz was 2 for 2 with 3 walks as the leadoff man.

Auburn 8, Mahoning Valley 7 (12 innings)
The Ddays pounded out 18 hits and had a 5 run 9th and made a comeback from being down 6-2. JotG goes to Adam Calderone and Brad Emaus. Calderone was 4 for 6 on the night with just one RBI and Emaus was 2 for 6 with a 3-run home and the winning RBI.

GCL Phillies 4, GCL Jays 6
JotG: Jonathan Del Campo went 3 for 4 with a home run to increase his batting average to .322. Honorable mention goes to Yohermyn Chavez who was 2 for 4 with a home run. Brian Letko pitched 4 shutout innings with 5 Ks.