Championship Series Day 2 Recap

Phillies 8 Dodgers 5

So much for good starting pitching, the Phillies scored 8 runs (7 earned) in 2.1 innings off Chad Billingsley. Brett Myers, Starter for the Phillies, didn't do all that much better, 5 earned in 5 innings of work but it was enough to get the win. Philly relievers Chad Durbin, J.C. Romero, Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge pitched 4 innings of no hit ball to preserve the win.

Philly offensive heroes were Victorino (yet again) going 2 for 5 and driving in 4 and pitcher Brett Myers who went 3 for 3 and drove in 3 and scored 2. For the Dodgers, Manny hit another home run and drove in 3 to get the Dodgers close. Victorino made a nice catch at the CF wall on a fly hit by Casey Blake that could have turned the game around.

Canadians and former Jays in the game? Russell Martin went 1 for 4 with a walk and scored 2. Barry Bond's favorite former Jay Jeff Kent came in to play second in a double switch and went 0 for 3. For the Phillies Jayson Werth went 1 for 5 and scored a run. Matt Stairs didn't get into the game.

Phillies of the Day: Myers (for his offense, .196 WPA) and Victorino (.177). No Suckage Phillies though Brett Myers came close as pitcher. Dodger of the game: James Loney (.191). Suckage Dodger Billingsley (-.455). The teams play again Sunday in LA with the old guy Jamie Moyer facing Hiroki Kuroda of the Dodgers.

Red Sox 2 Rays 0

DiceK finally lives up to his billing, he had a no hitter going till the 7th inning, finished with 7 innings, 4 hits, 4 walks and 9 strikeouts. Okajima, Masterson and Papelbon finished out the shutout.

For the Rays James Shields pitch 7.1 strong innings, giving up 6 hits, 2 walks, 6 k's and 2 earned, but if your team doesn't score for you, you can't win. Ask Doc. Howell, Balfour and Price finished out the game.

Offensively Youk was the only player for either team to have more than 1 hit going 3 for 4 and driving in 1. Canadian Jason Bay went 1 for 3 with a walk and a run. Former Jay Gabe Gross went 0 for 3 with 2 strikeouts. Eric Hinske still hasn't seen playoff action.

Red Sox of the Day: DiceK (.283 WPA), Masterson (.177), Okajima (.112), and Youk (.184). Suckage Sox: Varitek (-.144) and Ellsbury (-.108). Rays of the Day: Shields (.233) and Iwamura (.101). Suckage Rays: Longoria (-.265), Gross (-.194), Navarro (-.172) and Bartlett (-.144).

Tonight Josh Beckett faces Scott Kazmir.