Championship Series Day 5

Rays 9 Red Sox 1

Well that didn't go the way the Red Sox planned. Their 'best starter' Jon Lester gave up 8 hits, 4 earned runs, walked 2 and struck out 7 in 5.2 innings. Paul Byrd in relief didn't do any better 3.1 innings and 4 earned. They each gave up 2 homers.

Matt Garza went 6 innings, gave up 6 hits, walked 3, struck out 5 and only gave up 1 run. I thought he could have gone longer, I was surprised when Maddon gave him the quick hook, but J.P. Howell and Edwin Jackson finished up with 3 shut out innings.

For the Rays Upton, Longoria, Baldelli and Pena went deep. Canadians and Jays in the Game: Gabe Gross went in as a defensive replacement in RF late in the game. Eric Hinske still didn't play, I wonder if he is hurt. Jason Bay went 1 for 3 with a walk for the Sox.

Rays of the Day: Garza (.159 WPA), Longoria (.120) and Upton (.098). No suckage Rays. No Red Sox of the Day. Suckage Sox Jon Lester (-.236).

The Rays are up 2 games to 1, which if you look at recent Red Sox post-season history might mean that the Sox have them just where they want them. But this year seems different, Boston's starters have been.....inconsistant I guess is the nice way to say it. Terrible might be more accurate. Tonight, Tim Wakefield goes up against Andy Sonnanstine for the Rays. Wakefield's knuckball better be dancing tonight.

Phillies 7 Dodgers 5

Former Jay and Canadian Matt Stairs plays the hero role, hitting a 2 run, pinch hit homer to put the Phillies ahead in the 8th. You have to feel good for the guy.

Other offensive stars: Chase Utley went 3 for 4, Victorino hit a 2 run homer to tie the game in the 8th and catcher Carlos Ruiz went 2 for 3 with a walk, talk about your surprise offensive stars, Ruiz hit .218 on the season but is .417 so far this series. The Phillies other former Jay, Jayson Werth played Rf and went 1 for 5.

Dodger offensive stars: Rafael Furcal went 1 for 2 with 2 walks and 2 runs in the lead off spot. Manny went 2 for 2 with 3 walks. Loney went 2 for 4, Casey Blake went 2 for 5 with a homer and Juan Pierre, making his first start in CF for the playoffs went 2 for 3. Canadian Russell Martin had a tough day batting behind Manny, 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts, driving home 1 but leaving 7 on base.

Pitching: Joe Blanton went 5 innings, gave up 7 hits, 4 walks but got out of trouble a bunch, only allowing 3 runs. Chad Durbin gave up 2 hits, a walk and a homer without getting an out to give the Dodgers the lead. But former Jay Scott Eyre, Ryan Madson, J.C. Romero and Brad Lidge pitched the last 3.2 scoreless endings to give Stairs the chance to be the hero.

Derek Lowe went 5 innings on short rest, giving up 6 hits and 2 runs. After that, well Joe Torre got everyone into the game. Clayton Kershaw gave up a hit, a walk and a run in his third of an inning. Chan Ho Park got 1 out and walked 1. Joe Beimel got an out. Hong-Chih Kuo pitched an inning and gave up a run. Cory Wade got 2 outs but gave up Victorino's home run to tie the game and Jonathan Broxton pitched the final 1.1 innings giving up Stairs game winner.

Phillies of the Day: Stairs (.418 WPA), Ryan Howard (.249), Victorino (.224) and Utley (.114). Suckage Phillies: Durbin (-.261), Blanton (-.179) and Pedro Feliz  (-.163). Dodgers of the Day: Manny (.278), Furcal (.250), Blake (.122) and Loney (.112). Suckage Dodgers Broxton (-.400), Wade (-.268), Kershaw (-.157), Blake Dewitt (-.189) Martin (-.131) and Andre Ethier (-.118).

The teams get a day off then tomorrow Cole Hamels starts for the Phillies against Chad Billingsley.

Reminder....it is election day in Canada....Vote Early, Vote Often.