Quick Recaps of Day One of the Playoffs

For someone like me that loves watching baseball, today was heaven, three great games. Thought I'd put up short recaps of the games so we have a place to talk about them.

First Game: Brewers 1 Phillies 3

Great game, I haven't seen many Philly games this season and didn't realize what a great pitcher Cole Hamels has become. 8 innings of 2 hit ball, 1 walk and 9 strikeouts against a strong Brewers team. A two run double by Utley was all the offense the Phillies needed. Victorino drove in the other run with a bases loaded walk.

Yovani Gallardo (who?) started for the Brewers, he only gave up 3 hits but walked 5 in his 4 innings and gave up the 3 Philly runs. Offensively the Brewers didn't get anything going till the 9th when the very shaky Brad Lidge gave up 2 hits and a walk but managed to get out of it with the save. It reminded me of one of BJ's saves. He had to let the winning run come to bat before getting the third out.The Phillie's fans can't feel very confident with Lidge in the closing role.

Former Jay Matt Stairs didn't get into the game today. I wouldn't count the Brewers out yet, CC Sabathia is starting tomorrow and he has been amazing since the trade. Then Saturday former Jay Dave Bush starts.

Second Game: Dodgers 7 Cubs 2

Canadian Ryan Dempster did not do well, 4.2 innings, 4 hits, 7 (!) walks and 4 earned. But the other Canadian in the game Russell Martin hit one out. As well for the Dodgers James Loney hit a grand slam and Manny hit a homer on a pitch that couldn't have been more than 3 inches off the ground, how he could be strong enough to hit that out with that swing I'll never know.

Derek Lowe pitched well enough for the win, 6 innings, 7 hits, 1 homer, and 6 strikeouts. Greg Maddux pitched the 9th with the 5 run lead. The Cubs sitll have a good shot at the series with Zambrano and Canadian Rich Harden going in the next two games.

Third Game: Red Sox 4 Angels 1

Lester fought it some tonight but got thru 7 innings giving up only an unearned run, on 6 hits and 7 strikeouts. Canadian Jason Bay had two hits, a homer and 2 RBI. Ellsbury had 3 hits and 2 stolen bases.

Vlady Guerrero had the brain cramp of brain cramps, being thrown out trying to go from first to third on a pop up that Youk just barely missed catching. Youk popped up after missing a diving catch and made a nice throw to third to get Vlady by 10 or 15 feet. With the Angels only down by 1 in the bottom of the 8th, had he not been so bloody stupid the Angels would have had the tying run on second and the go ahead run on first with one out and a very shaky Justin Masterson on the mound.

I think the Angels needed that game but it should, if Beckett is able to pitch game three it will be tough for the Angels to get back into it.

I hope tomorrow's games are as good as today's.