SB Nation MVP Awards

American League 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th Points
Dustin Pedroia 5 3 4 2 1 - - 2 - - 155
Joe Mauer 2 3 2 2 2 1 1 1 - - 109
Grady Sizemore 5 2 - - 1 1 - 1 2 - 106
Kevin Youkilis 2 - 2 3 1 4 - 1 2 - 98
Alex Rodriguez 2 1 4 - 4 - - - 1 1 96
Josh Hamilton 1 1 - 3 3 1 1 - 1 - 73
Justin Morneau 1 3 1 1 - 1 - - - 2 63
Carlos Quentin - - 2 2 - 2 2 2 2 - 58
Carlos Pena - 1 - - - 3 1 1 - - 31
Cliff Lee - 1 - - 2 - - 1 - - 24
Milton Bradley - - - 1 - - 1 2 2 2 23
Aubrey Huff - - - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 17
Roy Halladay - - 1 - - - - 1 1 - 13
Miguel Cabrera - - - - - - 2 1 - 1 12
Evan Longoria - - - - 1 - - - 1 2 10
B. J. Upton - 1 - - - - - - - - 9
Ian Kinsler - - - - - - 1 - 2 - 8
Francisco Rodriguez - - - - - - - 1 1 - 5
Alexei Ramirez - - - - - - 1 - - - 4
Brian Roberts - - - - - - 1 - - - 4
Vladimir Guerrero - - - - - - 1 - - - 4
Jim Thome - - - - - - 1 - - - 4
Nick Markakis - - - - - - - - - 2 2
Joe Nathan - - - - - - - - - 1 1
Jermaine Dye - - - - - - - - - 1 1

This is one of those rare years that there isn't really a clear obvious choice for AL MVP. As you can see Dustin Pedroia was the winner with a sizable lead over Joe Mauer in second. Grady Sizemore is third in the voting but had the same number of first place votes as Pedroia had, but he was left off a few people's ballots. I'm not sold on Pedroia as the winner but he's likely as good a choice as any, really any of the top handful would be equally as good a choice. Sizemore likely had as good a season as any but likely lost out because his time didn't do well this year.

In the interests of full disclosure, my first pick was Kevin Youkilis. My other choices made the top 9 of the vote. My one pick that didn't make the top ten was Vladimir Guerrero, who I was the only one to vote for. And I'm willing to admit I may have been wrong on that.

The only Jay to get votes was Doc and he is clearly the Jay's MVP. We could have a good debate on who should be second in the Jay's MVP list, I would lean towards Downs.

The NL List:

National League 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th Points
Albert Pujols 13 4 - - - - - - - - 218
Lance Berkman 1 2 3 4 1 1 4 - 1 - 113
Hanley Ramirez - 4 1 3 2 - 1 1 1 - 86
David Wright - 1 3 1 2 3 2 3 - 1 95
Chipper Jones - 1 3 3 1 5 - - - - 85
Ryan Howard 3 1 1 1 - - 1 - - 1 71
Chase Utley - 1 1 1 4 2 2 - 2 1 71
Ryan Braun - - 1 3 - 2 1 1 2 1 51
Carlos Beltran - - 3 - - - - 3 1 1 36
Manny Ramirez - 1 - 1 1 - 1 - - 1 27
Matt Holliday - - - - 1 2 - - 4 - 24
CC Sabathia - 2 - - - - 1 - - 1 23
Carlos Delgado - - - - 2 1 - 1 1 - 21
Aramis Ramirez - - - - 2 1 - - 1 2 19
Ryan Ludwick - - - - - - 1 3 2 2 17
Jose Reyes - - - - 1 - 2 1 - - 8
Brad Lidge - - - 1 - - - - - - 8
Carlos Lee - - - - - - 1 - 1 - 6
Pat Burrell - - - - - - - 1 - 1 4
Brian McCann - - - - - - - 1 - 1 4
Prince Fielder - - - - - - - 1 - 1 4
Stephen Drew - - - - - - - 1 - - 3
Geovany Soto - - - - - - - - - 2 2
Tim Lincecum - - - - - - - - 1 - 2
Brian Giles - - - - - - - - - 1 1

Congratulations to the NL voters for picking the players that was clearly the best in spite of him not being on a team that finished in the playoffs. Beyond that I have no really opinion of the NL vote.