Happy Birthday Brandon Lyon

Brandon Lyon turns 29 today. He was drafted in the 14th round of the 1999 draft. In 2001 when he was 21 he made 11 starts for the Jays and finished 5-4 with a 4.29 ERA. He is the second youngest picture ever to get a win for the Jays.  The next season his ERA jumped to 6.53 and he was 1-4 in 10 starts. That next winter he was picked up by the Red Sox off Waivers. The Sox used him as a reliever and he earned 9 saves in 49 appearances.

In July of 2003 he was traded to the Pirates and then 9 days later he was traded back Boston. In November he was traded along with Michael Goss, Casey Fossum and Jorge de la Rosa to Arizona for Curt Schilling. In his four seasons there he's been used as setup man and closer. This season he has 24 saves.