Jays Release Shannon Stewart

Thanks to Jevant for pointing this out. We all know that the Jays decided to keep Shannon Stewart over Reed Johnson this spring and we know it didn't turn out well:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2008 - Shannon Stewart 52 175 14 42 4 2 1 14 22 18 3 1 .240 .325 .303

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2008 - Reed Johnson 77 243 42 73 17 0 6 41 16 43 5 5 .300 .364 .444

I have no idea why JP thought Stewart would be a better choice for 4th outfielder. Shannon hasn't been an average major league outfielder in years. He has put up some decent batting averages but with no power, no on base and no speed, so in a corner outfield spot he's a waste.

Reed had a lost season last year because of  back injuries but the season before Reed hit .319/.390/.479. When was the last time Shannon had numbers that could match that? Well in 2000 Stewart hit .319/.363/.518 so that would be that last season he could have matched those numbers and the only time he could match those numbers in his career.

Reed was also a fan favorite for his hustle. Add in that Johnson can play all the outfield positions well and Stewart can only play left and very poorly at that, really the only reason to pick Stewart was financial. And when you are telling your fans that this is our season, we are going to compete, making an outfield choice on which player is a little cheaper is, what's the word, oh right, STUPID. I don't think anyone will miss Stewart.