Red Sox To Sign John Smoltz and Rocco Baldelli

Boston is signing free agents John Smoltz and Rocco Baldelli (sorry Hugo). Rocco's signing I understand, they need a four outfielder and he will be a good one. But after signing Brad Penny I thought thought the Sox had a deep enough starting rotation. Smoltz had shoulder surgery and isn't expected to be ready to pitch till June.

The deal Smoltz appears set to sign with the Red Sox is for $5.5 million over one season, with attainable incentives that could bring it as high as $10 million.

It seems to me to be a lot of money for a 41 year old coming off shoulder surgery, but I guess the Sox have lots of money to spend. Boston is apparently planning on using Smoltz as a starter, though he's been a very good reliever in the past. Smoltz has played for the Braves for his whole career up till now.