Milton Bradley for Vernon Wells?

Update: Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune wrote:

A Cubs source quickly responded to the report by saying the rumor has "no legs at all," adding the team has not discussed the possibility of bringing Wells to the North Side.

So I guess it depends on whether you believe Sullivan's unnamed source or Elliot's unnamed source. I'll believe the first one to name their source.

 In this morning's Toronto Sun, Bob Elliot reports that the Cubs and Blue Jays are talking about trading Vernon Wells for Milton Bradley. A trade of bad contracts. The Cubs pretty much have to move Bradley told a Chicago paper that "you can understand why they haven't won her in 100 years", as well as fighting with manager Lou Pinella and numerous other little moves designed to drive a team and its fans crazy.

Bradley has 2 years and $21 million left on his contract. Wells has 6 years and $107 million left on his. Elliot says:

The Cubs' idea is to split the difference on monies owed -- Wells' $107 million and Bradley's $21 million for a difference of $86 million. Each team absorbs $43 million.

Which would mean the Cubs would be paying Vernon about $10.67 million for the 6 years left in his contract. And the Jays would save $43 million over the 6 years.

The move would leave us without a CFer, unless you figure on Bradley playing center. And Bradley has averaged 94 games played a season so we'd have to have a reliable backup. Last year I was all for having the Jays look at Bradley for the DH role depending on how much he'd cost. I'm not all for having him play center field at all.

My other worry is that Cito had a clubhouse revolt last year with a bunch of very level headed players. What happens when you add a guy that throws a weekly temper tantrum at the best of times? I really don't imagine Cito as being the guy that can keep Milton in line.

I don't know, it would save us a little money and give Vernon a fresh start. He is just a year removed from having a very good season. It would force other moves because we'd need a CFer. Does Anthopoulos want to pick up a potential clubhouse problem as his first player move as GM?

You want to do it? You can look at it from the Cubs point of view over at Bleed Cubbie Blue.