SB Nations Rookie of the Year Awards

Yesterday we posted the voting in our SB Nation Manager of the Year, today it is the Rookie of the Year. A much more interesting vote, the one to get the most first place votes didn't finish first because a number of us left him off our ballot. There was no clear cut RoY this year which made the voting that much harder.

k Player Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
1 Elvis Andrus Texas Rangers 6 9 6 63
2 Andrew Bailey Oakland Athletics 11 1 3 61
3 Jeff Niemann Tampa Bay Rays 3 5 3 33
4 Rick Porcello Detroit Tigers 2 7 2 33
5 Brett Anderson Oakland Athletics 5 1 3 31
6 Gordon Beckham Chicago White Sox 1 2 8 19
7 Nolan Reimold Baltimore Orioles 1 - 1 6
8 Matt Wieters Baltimore Orioles - 1 3 6
9 Brad Bergesen Baltimore Orioles - 1 - 3
10 Ricky Romero Toronto Blue Jays - 1 - 3
11 Travis Snider Toronto Blue Jays - 1 - 3

In interest of full discloser, I am the one that gave Ricky Romero the second place vote. I felt since Romero and Niemann faced the toughest competition, as pitchers in the AL East and that they each had better strikeout to walk rates than Rick Porcello or Brett Anderson, they deserved my vote more. I think I gave my 3rd place vote to Elvis Andrus. It was a little while ago and my memory is hazy on it. I know I went back and forth between Andrus and Bailey, but I think I finally decided that the everyday player deserved my vote more than the closer. I don't know who voted for Snider, I know it wasn't Hugo or me. I'd like to hear the reasoning. I don't really understand the vote for Brad Bergeson either, he was just 7-5, with a crappy strikeout rate (4.7/9 innings). It seems like a strange choice to me.

The National League vote is below, in case you are interested. There wasn't a clear, easy number 1 choice in that one too. Hanson only made 21 starts, but was 11-4.

Rk Player Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
1 Tommy Hanson Atlanta Braves 9 9 6 78
2 J.A. Happ Philadelphia Phillies 6 9 7 64
3 Andrew McCutchen Pittsburgh Pirates 8 3 5 54
4 Chris Coghlan Florida Marlins 7 5 4 54
5 Dexter Fowler Colorado Rockies - 3 1 10
6 Randy Wells Chicago Cubs - - 6 6
7 Garrett Jones Pittsburgh Pirates 1 - - 5
8 Casey McGehee Milwaukee Brewers - 1 2 5
9 Seth Smith Colorado Rockies - 1 - 3