Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada and Veteran's Day in the US, so at some point today take a moment to think about the young men and now women that have given their lives to protect our freedoms. And they still are giving their lives for our country, 133 Canadians have died in Afghanistan since we first sent troops there. The latest, a young man from Calgary, Sapper Steven Marshall, just had his funeral today. 24 is way too young to die.

Anyway, as I said last year, there is only one real poem that I can recite, Flanders Fields, my grade 8 teacher had us learn it and I still know it by heart.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The birds, still bravely singing, fly