Sunday Bantering: Brian Butterfield and Today's Doc Rumor

There is a really good interview with Brian Butterfield on Baseball Prospectus. I would have liked a question about Edwin Encarnacion fielding, what he has to work on and if Butterfield thinks he can become a good fielding 3B, but it's a really nice talk. I'll copy in a couple of the questions but go read the full thing.

DL: Do you ever look at defensive metrics to see if they match what your eyes tell you?

BB: A little bit, I suppose, but that’s a little advanced for me, because I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. It’s something I need to learn more about, really.

DL: How good of a defender is Marco Scutaro?

BB: It’s been an absolutely fantastic year for him, and I really feel that he should be the Gold Glove winner. For me, he’s the Gold Glove shortstop. He’s caught everything, he has no panic in his hands, and his work ethic has come in leaps and bounds. He’s got great feet, great hands—great hands—and he understands what we’re trying to do as a team, as far as positioning ourselves with how we’re pitching guys. He’s simply played above and beyond.

MLB Trade Rumors has this about Doc:

The Yankees, meanwhile, appear willing to part with Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain in the hunt for Roy Halladay, though they'd like to hang on to Austin Jackson

I'd like Hughes over Joba if it were up to me and I'd much rather have Jesus Montero than Jackson but wouldn't mind having Jackson as well.

Trade Rumors as has a link to a story that the A's signed Dallas McPherson to a minor league league contract. I was kind of hoping the Jays might look at him, at least as depth at third and maybe first.

In This Article

Teams