Alex Gonzalez to Sign With Jays

Ken Rosental has a tweet that shortstop Alex Gonzalez will be signing with the Jays, not the former Jay Alex Gonzalez but the former Marlin, Red, Red Sox Alex Gonzalez. I don't know, he's a glove first SS, much like Mac, has a little power and gets on base a little better but not a lot better. He hit .284/.316/.453 for the Red Sox in 44 games last year, far worse for the Reds. I guess we won't be resigning Scutaro, though they have to offer him arbitration if they want the two draft picks. Makes you wonder who will be leading off this year. He made $5.375 million last year, so I'm wondering what we will be paying him.

Likely there are more shoes to drop.

And Happy Thanksgiving those of you in the States. Have a great day and enjoy the football.

Update: I'm going to put in the Jay's press release. Basically he's getting $2.73 this year and there is a $2.5 team option. Seems cheap. Puzzles me further about McDonald. I figured we'd be getting a good bad/average field guy, but Alex could win a Gold Glove, if Jeter wasn't the only name the voters knew how to spell.

BLUE JAYS SIGN ALEX GONZALEZ

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed shortstop ALEX GONZALEZ to a one year contract worth $2.75 million dollars for the 2010 season, with a club option for $2.5 million in 2011.

GONZALEZ, 32, split last season between Cincinnati and Boston, posting a .238 average with eight home runs and 41 RBI. The Cagua, Venezuela native has 11 major league seasons to his credit, accumulating a career high 23 home runs and 79 RBI with the Marlins in 2004 & recording more than 10 home runs on four occasions. The right-handed hitting shortstop has played for Florida (1998-2005), Boston (2006 & 2009) and Cincinnati (2007 & 2009), winning a World Series with the Marlins in 2003.  Is a career .247 hitter with 114 home runs and 521 RBI.