The Small Moves Keep Coming, Jays Drop Three From 40-Man Roster

The press release:

BLUE JAYS ADJUST 40-MAN ROSTER

        The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have outrighted C KYLE PHILLIPS, LHP DAVIS ROMERO and LHP BILL MURPHY from the 40-man roster to Las Vegas of the Pacific Coast League (AAA). This now brings the number of players on the roster to 38.

        PHILLIPS, 25, appeared in five games for the Blue Jays this past season, batting .278 with three doubles and two RBI. The San Diego California, native is a veteran of eight pro seasons, spending the last three in the Blue Jays organization.

 ROMERO, 26, spent the majority of 2009 with Las Vegas of the Pacific Coast League (AAA). The Aguadulce, Panama native posted a 3-6 record with one save and a 5.98 ERA in 93.1 innings for the 51s. The left-hander appeared in seven major league games for Toronto in 2006, going 1-0 with a 3.86 ERA.

MURPHY, 28, appeared in eight games with the Blue Jays this past season, posting a 3.18 ERA in 11.1 innings. The Peoria, Arizona resident was 0-6 with a 7.59 ERA in Las Vegas in 45 games, all in relief.

Actually Murphy was dropped from the 40 the other day when we picked up Jarrett Hoffpauir. This gives the teams a couple of spots on the 40 man in case they want to pick up someone. It leaves these three open to being picked up off waivers, but I have doubts anyone would want to give up a 40-man roster spot for one of these there. And, obviously, the Jays aren't too worried about losing them. I guess the most surprising of the three is Kyle Phillips, I would think he's the most likely to be picked up by someone else.

At least one more player will be coming off the 40-man in the next little bit as Kevin Millar won't be on it for much longer. And Rod Barajas and/or Marco Scutaro could be leaving the team as well. If you are interested, the roster is on the left hand side of this page, but it will take a bit before these changes are made.