Jays Make More 40-Man Roster Moves

The Jays made a couple of roster moves today. Here is the press release:

BLUE JAYS MAKE 40 MAN ROSTER ADDITIONS

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS made two additions to the 40-man roster today by selecting the contract of 1B BRIAN DOPIRAK from Las Vegas of the Pacific Coast League and claiming infielder MIKE McCOY on waivers from the Colorado Rockies.

DOPIRAK, 25, split the 2009 season between New Hampshire of the Eastern League (AA) and Las Vegas of the Pacific Coast League (AAA). Combined, the 6-4, 220 lb. right-handed hitter posted a .317 average with 42 doubles, 27 home runs and 102 RBI in 139 games. The Palm Harbor, Florida resident was selected as the R. Howard Webster Award (MVP) winner for New Hampshire in 2009.

McCOY, 28, hit .307 in 2009 with 27 doubles, five triples, 102 runs scored and 40 stolen bases for Colorado Springs of the Pacific Coast League (AAA). The 5-9, 175 lb. right-handed hitter posted a .405 on-base percentage with 80 walks and 70 strikeouts in 132 games. The San Diego, California native appeared in 12 games for Colorado last season going hitless in five at bats.

Me again: Dopirak had to be moved to the 40 man or he could have been picked up by another team McCoy played 2B and SS for Colorado Springs, he has good speed, stealing 40 bases last year (only caught 6 times) and he knows how to take a walk. Again it is just a case of adding depth but looks like the team is trying to have as many options for SS as possible next season. Gotta like the speed. I'll hunt around for scouting reports on him later, don't have the time at the moment. At 28 he is a little old for a prospect but could fill a role for a year or two.