Jays Pick Up Reliever Zech Zinicola in Rule 5

Here is the press release:

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have selected RHP ZECH ZINICOLA from the Washington Nationals organization in the Major League phase of the Rule 5 Draft held today in Indianapolis, Indiana.

ZINICOLA, 24, opened the 2009 season with Harrisburg of the Eastern League (AA) where he posted a 1-1 record with a 1.74 ERA and five saves in 17 relief appearances.  The 6-1, 220 lb. right-handed pitcher then appeared in 26 games for Syracuse of the International League (AAA) posting an 0-1 record with a 7.56 ERA. The San Bernardino, California allowed a combined 19 walks with 47 strikeouts in 54.0 innings.  Zinicola was the Nationals sixth round selection in the 2006 First Year Player Draft after attending Arizona State University

Here is his Baseball Reference page. I know nothing about him, but looks like he knows how to strike out batters. The Jays will have to keep him on their active roster for the full season or offer him back to the Nationals at half the Rule 5 cost ($25,000). I thought the bullpen looked crowded before this, I'd imagine this means Accardo will be non-tendered. Anthopoulos' special assistant Dana Brown came over from the Nationals and would know Zinicola so I'd imagine that has something to do with his pick up.