Blue Jays Sign Some Players

Well, I was hugely wrong on how much money Jose Bautista would get, he signed for $2.4 million, I don't see why he didn't go to arbitration instead of signing for that little. But at that money, he is a good signing. I am just going to post the Jay's press release for all the other signings.

BLUE JAYS COMPLETE SIGNINGS

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have agreed to terms with INF/OF JOSE BAUTISTA on a one year deal paying $2.4 million US and P DUSTIN McGOWAN on a $500,000 US deal for 2010. OF JOEY GATHRIGHT and C RAUL CHAVEZ were signed to minor league contracts with an invite to spring training.

BAUTISTA, 29, is returning to the Blue Jays for a 3rd season in 2010, after being acquired from the Prates in 2008. The Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic native posted a .235 average with 13 home runs and 40 RBI in 2009, and has now recorded double-digit home runs for the 4th consecutive season. The 6’0" 190 lb. utility man led the majors with a 0.15 assists per nine innings as an outfielder (min 70 starts) marking the 4th highest total in Blue Jays history.

McGOWAN, 27, missed all of last season recovering from surgery on his right shoulder in 2007.

GATHRIGHT, 28, split 2009 between the Chicago Cubs and Boston, playing in 37 games and posting a .267 average. The Hattiesburg, Mississippi native has appeared for four teams (TB, KC, CHC, BOS) over six-years recording a .263 career average with 80 stolen bases.

CHAVEZ, appeared in 51 games for Toronto last season posting 41 hits, the highest total of his career. The 36-year-old threw out 16 of 45 potential base stealers for a 35.6% caught stealing percentage, ranking him 3rd in the AL among catchers with a minimum of 50 games played.

Me back: Signing Gathright to a minor league contract works for me, and the Jays were smart to non-tender Chavez and re-sign him to a minor league deal. All-in-all good stuff today. Please Cito, don't use Bautista as the leadoff hitter, at very least not against right-handers.