FanPost

Jays Get Bedard?

I posted this on Wilner's site.  Thought I'd run it by you guys to get your thoughts on it.

I want to throw an idea at you. What do you think about throwing a 4 year deal at Bedard. Say 4 yrs, 15 mil + a few incentives for staying healthy.

I know it sounds crazy to take that kind of risk for an injury prone pitcher, who likely won’t pitch until June or July, but the potential reward is amazing.

1)When he’s healthy, he’s been great. Ace stuff, and he’s proven it in the AL East.
2)He’s bound to get healthy at some point, no? After all, it seems that Burnett has. Even if he’s healthy 2.5 years out of 4, you did OK.
3) This team looks poised to be good in 2011-2013, I think. But a proven front end starter will be helpful, and that will be expensive if they’re looking at getting it via FA down the road. They could take a chance with Bedard now, while the price is lower.
4) A rotation of 2011-2013:
Bedard
Drabek
Marcum
Morrow
Romero (or Litsch, McGowan, Stewart, Cecil, Rzepczynski)

Now that is a rotation with potential.
5) It would seem to me that they now have the financial flexibility to take this kind of high reward gamble.