Spring Game Recap, Jays Lose To Phillies

Phillies 7 Jays 6

Lots of good and some bad in this game. David Purcey threw 6 innings gave up 8 hits, 2 walks, 2 runs, only 1 earned, 1 homer and 3 strikeouts. The unearned run came when Moonraker misplayed a fly ball, then dropped it while trying to pick it up, for 2 errors on one play that allowed the runner to get to 3rd then score on a sac fly. It wasn't a bad showing for Purcey, though he had some trouble locating pitches and he gave up a couple of hard hit balls that (apparently, judging by radio commentary) the wind kept in the park. But he's done nothing this spring to make me think he won't have a good season for us.

Scott Downs pitched a scoreless inning. BJ Ryan on the other hand gave up a walk and a home run but struck out 2 in his inning. Andy in the game thread mentioned that SI writer Jon Heyman quoted a scout as saying Ryan fastball was just 'in the low 80s'. I don't buy it, despite the home run against him today, he has had some good outings lately. I can't see how he got 2 strikeouts today throwing that soft. I think maybe the scout was talking about his first couple of times out this spring, when he was really not throwing well. Brandon League gave up 4 hits and 3 runs in the 9th to take the loss, but all of the hits and his three outs were on ground balls and we didn't have the 'A' defense out at that point. I don't think it is a worry.

Offensively Vernon was 2 for 2 with a double and a steal of 3rd at the front of a double steal. Please Vernon be careful! Michael Barrett was 2 for 2 with a double. Can we just give him the job now? Marco Scutaro was 2 for 3 with a double, just back from the WBC. Moonraker was 1 for 3 and stole home at the front end of a delayed double steal. Millar was 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI.

Notable ofers: Baustista was 0 for 2, but is still hitting .458 this spring. Hill 0 for 2. Rios 0 for 2 with a walk and a steal, the back end of the delayed double steal. Jason Lane was 0 for 3, but is still batting .353 with 12 RBI and 5 homers. Yeah I know, no matter how much I try to sell him, JP isn't buying. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop. I'm like those telemarketers that call every few days. Like say the one from the National Post that calls me at least once a week even with me saying no louder and louder each time. But I Digress...sorry....Lind was 0 for 3 but threw out a runner at the plate and Barajas was 0 for 2.

Tomorrow Whoops got it wrong, the Jays have an off day Wednesday and  play the Braves in Disney World Thursday, I think in a Small World, because no one goes on that ride. And, of course, got the location wrong too, they are playing in the back yard of the haunted house, the tombstone that reads 'Here Lies Good Old Fred, a Great Big Rock Fell on His Head' is to be used as home plate. Brad Mills is to start for the Jays and is to pitch 7 innings. That seems hopeful to me, but I hope he shows well.