New Architects: Game Preview and Thread, Tigers at Jays

If you haven't already rounded up this morning's news, we did so this morning so check it out.  However, we missed a couple of really interesting blog posts.

First, Ghostrunner on First takes a great look at Dustin McGowan -- where he's been and what we might expect from him going forward.  We know the Jays were a little optimistic with McGowan's expected return time, and I tend to think that they did that, consciously or subconsciously, due to the fact that they knew they would not significantly augment the pitching staff in the offseason.  That said, the important thing is that McGowan comes back healthy and effective, not exactly when he does so.  He's a significant part of the Jays' future.

One really interesting article we missed was this fascinating look over at Southpaw, one of the more interesting and thoughtful Jays' blogs around, at which teams have been most effective in the draft in drafting useful major league players.  Southpaw comes to the conclusion that the Jays have been the second-most successful team in the draft since J.P. Ricciardi's reign began.  I think that is interesting, but limited in that his focus is on major-league players who have gotten some playing time, not wins or runs over replacement from drafted players, which would be, in my opinion, a more interesting and less Jays'-friendly look.

Some moves: Russ Adams, Jason Lane, Brad Emaus, and Scott Campbell were returned to minor-league camp.  All enjoyed excellent springs and it would not surprise me to see 2 or 3 of them get major-league time this year.  On the pitching side, Brian Wolfe was optioned to AAA and Dirk Hayhurst was returned to minor league camp.

Scott Richmond pitches for the Jays this afternoon and continues his attempt to make the rotation.

Jays' Lineup:

Marco Scutaro, SS
Aaron Hill, 2B
Alex Rios, RF