Best and Worst Seasons by Jay Second Basemen by WAR

The next in the series of looking at the Best and Worst Seasons by position according to Wins Above Replacement, today the second basemen. The idea was researched from Amazin' Avenue. Here are the best seasons by Jay second baseman:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

1

1992

Roberto Alomar

6.6

2

1993

Roberto Alomar

6.4

3

2007

Aaron Hill

5.2

4

1982

Damaso Garcia

4.2

5

1991

Roberto Alomar

3.9

6

2004

Orlando Hudson

3.1

7

1999

Homer Bush

2.5

8

2008

Joe Inglett

2.4

9

1989

Nelson Liriano

2.4

10

2005

Orlando Hudson

2.4

And the worst:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

27

1977

Steve Staggs

0.0

28

1980

Garth Iorg

-0.1

29

1996

Tomas Perez

-0.1

30

1978

Dave McKay

-0.4

31

1987

Garth Iorg

-0.7

32

1986

Damaso Garcia

-0.7

33

1981

Damaso Garcia

-0.8

34

1988

Nelson Liriano

-0.9

35

2000

Homer Bush

-1.5

36

1997

Carlos Garcia

-2.3

Quick thoughts:

- I guess no one is surprised Alomar has the top couple of spots, he also had a 2.2 and a 1.7 season.

- If Hill keeps going like he is this year he'll own the number one spot.

- Bush had his good year, then the next year was his bad, I wonder what he did that winter?

- Hudson also had 2.3 season.

- That good season for Liriano was out of character for his time with us, he had a good season with the Rockies and another good one with the Pirates, among a bunch of pretty poor seasons.

- I have no memory of Staggs at all, but then other than 1977 he only had a  handful of plate appearances with the A's. A lot of the guys in the Jays first season were the definition of a replacement player.

- Dave McKay was Canadian, I guess is Canadian, I think he was the first Canadian to play for the Jays. His 1977 season was far worst than 1978, at -2.3 but he only played 40 games at second that year.

- Carlos Garcia was awful. As you likely remember he was picked up with Orlando Merced and Dan Plesac. We gave up Craig Wilson and Abraham Nunez in the deal, among others. We payed Garcia $2.55 million for that season.