FanPost

Should Vernon Wells be hitting leadoff?

I'm as pleased as anyone with what Marco Scutaro's been doing in the leadoff spot, but equally displeased with Vernon Well's performance with runners in scoring position. I found the following stats over at Yahoo! to back up my argument:

Bases Empty .311

None On/Nobody Out .364

Runners On:  .232

RISP: .188

RISP/2 Outs: .238

Yeah, I know he's got pop in his bat, but so did Ricky Henderson and Tim Raines, and they were excellent leadoff men. Vernon's got the speed, he knows how to draw walks, and can score from first on a double. Right now he's a rally-killer in the cleanup spot, and that goes back to last September. I know everyone thinks that he'll pick it up, but there's another possibility - he won't.

What bothers me the most is that he consistently makes outs with runners in scoring position, and he looks like he doesn't care. He doesn't get upset, doesn't change his behavior one bit, just acts like it was another at bat. He doesn't even look like he's concentrating at the plate, just going through the motions. I remember when he got the hit off Zack Greinke in Kansas City to end his scoreless streak - Vernon looked like the wheels were turning in his head then. I'd like to see that again, but haven't.