FanShot

Eckstein has been called the least talented player ever to play a critical role on two World Series...

Eckstein has been called the least talented player ever to play a critical role on two World Series champions, but he is a guy who will do whatever it takes to win, including in the last few days taking a 97 mph Brian Wilson fastball in the gut (he took another one in the arm last night in the middle of their ninth-inning threat), faking out a baserunner and hanging in on a DP while getting rolled over. Eckstein is the best $850,000 anyone spent this winter. "When you have a player like that, it becomes contagious," Towers said. "He sets the standard. He's so fricking intense. And he has the best in-game instincts I've ever seen."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/05/27/padres.gonzalez/index.html