Best and Worst Seasons by Jay First Basemen by WAR

I had decided last night that I was going to write about Richard Griffin's column titled 'Don't Plan the Parade Route Yet'  this morning but I just didn't have the energy for it. I really don't understand why he couldn't, you know, write something positive about a first place team, it is more fun being a kill joy I suppose. Having to say something that would come off as a complement to the JP would be far too close to admitting he was wrong about something. I'm still waiting for him to say he was wrong about Orlando Cabrera.

I guess saying he was wrong about something would hurt is self image as a baseball expert. That's where I'm lucky, I'm not an expert, I am a fan, I can easily admit when I'm wrong and it doesn't hurt my view of myself in the least. I know if you give opinions enough, you'll be wrong some of the time.

Anyway, instead of doing that post I decided to put up the next of Best and Worst Season's by Wins Above Replacement. Oh, should mention the idea was stolen researched from Amazin' Avenue. The best seasons for Jay first basemen were:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

1

1993

John Olerud

8.5

2

1989

Fred McGriff

6.9

3

2000

Carlos Delgado

6.9

4

2003

Carlos Delgado

6.7

5

1998

Carlos Delgado

6.4

6

1988

Fred McGriff

6.3

7

2002

Carlos Delgado

5.3

8

1990

Fred McGriff

5.2

9

1983

Willie Upshaw

4.5

10

2001

Carlos Degado

4.2

And the bottom 10:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

24

1995

John Olerud

1.6

25

2005

Eric Hinske

1.6

26

1987

Willie Upshaw

1.4

27

1997

Carlos Delgado

1.3

28

1981

John Mayberry

1.3

29

1982

Willie Upshaw

1.2

30

2007

Lyle Overbay

1.0

31

1980

John Mayberry

0.9

32

1977

Doug Ault

0.0

33

1978

John Mayberry

-0.2

Some quick thoughts:

- We've really had some good first basemen, the bottom ten really aren't bad seasons. John Mayberry and Doug Ault were likely as good as anyone we had on the team those first couple of seasons.

- We really haven't had that many first basemen, just a few guys that have played a number of seasons each for us.

- Olerud's next best season was a 3.2 WAR, which would be the 13th best season.

- Overbay had the 12th best season and 14th best as well as the 4th worst. Hardly fair as that season he had the broken hand.

- I had always thought Delgado's 2000 season was the best season ever by a Jay but he loses some points with WAR for poor defense. But then since he has 5 of the top 10 seasons, that likely makes up for not having the top spot.

We'll do the second basemen next, sometime when I'm procrastinating from writing the next of the Top 50 Jays.