The Merry Month of May

  With May over, let's take a look at how the Jays did in May.  It was kind of a month in two parts. After May 18th we were 12-5 for the month. Life seemed good. The rest of the way we were 2-10, for a 14-15 month, not terrible but not what we hoped. To look at some of the key players:

Aaron Hill: .307/.331/480, 7 homers and 17 RBI. Slowed a little from his .365/.412/.567 but then expecting him to keep that up was wishful thinking.  Still a terrific offensive showing, he could take a few more walk, likely he was pressing a bit like everyone else in the lineup, he had 9 walks in April just 4 in May, but I'm sure he felt he had to carry the team.

Vernon Wells: .252/.300/.361, 2 homers, 11 RBI. Yeah, he dropped off too from a decent .283/.345/.465 April. He started the month well, hitting in 9 of the first 10 games and had 7 RBI in the first 6 games of the month.  And then ended the month not so bad with 14 hits in the last 11 games. The middle was awful.

Alex Rios: .302/.359/.509, 5 homers and 13 RBI. One of the few to have a better May than April, though maybe not so hard to do since he hit just .248/.304/.366 in April. If he continues to hit like it he did in May the rest of the season, I think we'd be happy.

Marco Scutaro: .322/.397/.421, 0 homers, 10 RBI, 19 runs. A bit of a drop in slugging as he hit 5 home runs in April, but you really can't complain at all about a leadoff man getting on at a .400 clip. 53 games into the season he's score 43 runs, which would put him at 131 runs scored on the season, which would be 3 off the Shawn Green's single season record.

Adam Lind .264/.333/.453, 4 homers and 18 RBI. A drop off from his blistering .315/.400/.533 April. Really he started the month well, but then he's hit .174 the last 12 games. The last couple of games he's looked better so I'm hoping he is out of his slump.

Scott Rolen: .289/.392/.470, 1 homer, 10 RBI. Another who improved on his April, where he hit .317/.367/.427. Yeah, he is great. I think his days of being a 25 home run guy are behind him but lots of doubles and great defence, who is going to complain.

Rod Barajas: .274/.304/.369, 1 homer, 16 RBI. He has fallen off a bit from a .299/.333/.493 April, but a pretty good month for a catcher, a few walks wouldn't hurt but that's not the kind of batter he is.

Lyle Overbay: .294/.347/.515, 2 homers, 12 RBI. His on base fell off from April's .403 but he's still hitting pretty well.

Travis Snider: .216/.237/.243, no homers, 1 RBI in 12 games.

Jose Bautista: .231/.403/.288, no homers, 6 RBI. More walks 14 than hits 12. A totally different player than last month when he hit .317/.404/.463.

Kevin Millar: .218/.283/.364, 2 homers, 9 RBI. Tanked from a .343/.395/.515 April. He also played too much this month, 35 at bats in April, 55 in May.

Pitchers

Roy Halladay: 4-0, 1.76 ERA. Even better than his 4-1 3.75 April. Yeah he should have had 2 more wins. After 11 starts he still hasn't pitched less than 7 innings in a game. Less than a third of the play thru the season he has thrown 82 innings, he is on pace for 255 innings.

Brian Tallet: 2-2, 3.00 ERA. He really has taken to the starting role. He deserves better than the 2-2 record. Who thought Brian Tallet would be our second best starter this year?

Scott Richmond: 1-2, 4.11 ERA. Yeah a drop from his 3-0, 2.70 April but then most of the ERA jump was one bad start. He's a darn good 5th starter.

Jesse Carlson: 1-2, 7.71. A rough month, after a 1.50 April.

Scott Downs:  0-0, 3.65, 5 saves. All the runs off him came in 2 appearances this month.

Brandon League: 0-0, 3.38. All his earned runs came in 2 appearances too.

Jason Frasor: 1-0, 4.82. Not quite as good as his 0 ERA in April. The bad game in Atlanta was the reason for the poor ERA, other than that he only game up 1 run in May.