FanPost

Stumper

It is impossible for a pitcher to get a win and and a save in the same game.  It is possible, however, for him to get a loss and a save.  Explain how this could happen and give an example from baseball history.  Try not to use the google.

Winners will get nothing but glory.  Losers will get nothing but scorn.  The answer will be posted here in a couple hours but if you have the solution before then, go for it.

Answer:  JohnnyG hinted towards it.  Pitcher A starts the game.  He pitches 6 innings.  In the 6th with the game tied and a runner on third the game is postponed due to rain (if his team is winning/losing it doesn't work because the game would be called).    When the game is resumed a month later Pitcher A has been traded to the opposing team.  The runner on third goes on to score and the run, which goes on to be the winning run, is charged to Pitcher A and therefore he is also charged with the loss.  Team B calls Pitcher A in to save the game in the 9th.