FanPost

Pitching Conundrum

The Jays have a pitching conundrum on their hands and it's not a bad thing...So far this year Doc has been Doc, Tallet has been better then expected, Richmond has been good, Janssen has looked good in his few starts, Romero has been up and down but hopefully will have more ups as the season moves on.  So that's 5 decent starters right there....

Jesse Litsch is recovering from injury and could return soon, Marcum and McGowan will both possibly return at some point in 2009 in preparation for a healthy 2010.

That is 8 starters who have all had some degree of success at the major league level...

In the minors there is Brett Cecil who outside of 1 bad outing vs Boston looked like a future ace with the Jays, Robert Ray who at the worst could be a solid back end rotation innings eater type starter, Brad Mills has had a solid go of it in AAA after a spectacular spring and David Purcey who's been ok in AAA though got knocked around in the majors.  Fabio Castro has really come on in 2009.  In AA Reidier Gonzalez has looked good, Marc Rzepczynski has potential as well...So that gives the Jays 7 starter prospects in the high minors with major league abilities.

Where does all this leave the Jays rotation in 2010?  Doc will be #1, Marcum/McGowan/Janssen would be penciled in as 2-3-4 starters so that leaves Romero, Litsch, Tallet, Richmond battling for the 5th spot.  However one would have to assume that Cecil will be ready for full-time pitching duties in 2010 as might Mills and Ray.

Having too much of a commodity is not a bad thing, what is a little unnerving is wondering how JP will deal with this excess of quality arms.  I for one hope he packages a few starters together to add a legitimate power bat to the middle of the order or to acquire a 2nd ace to slot in behind Halladay (or both?)