Happy Birthday Corey Koskie

Haven't done one of these in a while but I couldn't pass this one up. Corey Koskie turns 36 today. Corey was born in Anola, Manitoba. I suppose it reinforces everything that Americans think about Canada, but I know people that knew Corey when he was young. He was drafted in the 26 round of the 1994 amateur draft, but he beat the odds and made it to the Twins in 1998. In 1999 he became a full time player.

Before the 2005 season the Jays signed him as a free agent. Unfortunately he had his one poor season of his career, injury plagued, it was the first time that he slugged under .400 in a full season in the majors and only season wear he had an OPS+ under 100. After the season the Jays traded for Troy Glaus, causing a logjam at third so they traded Koskie to the Brewers for Brian Wolfe.

In 2006 he suffered a concussion that ended his career. He tried to make a comeback this year, he was on the roster for Canada in the World Baseball Classic and was with Cubs during spring training. But he decided to retire, likely as much to set a good example for his son, who got a concussion this spring too.

Corey had a very good 9 year career, hitting 124 homers, driving in 506 run and finishing with a .275/.367/.458 batting line. I'm sure if we did a top 50 Candian born players he would be high up on the list. If, you know, I ever finish the top 50 Jays list.

Happy birthday Corey. Hope you have a good one.