Jays 9, Royals 3

Hi everyone!  I'm back from the wilds of Shenandoah National Park.  Lots of rain, but great times.  And back just in time to write up the Jays victory over the Kansas City Royals

The Jays got on the board early against Royals starter Zack Greinke, who was chasing Doc for the league lead in wins, with a Marco Scutaro double and a Vernon Wells non-clutch 2-out RBI single.  They added a run on a Lyle Overbay home run to centrefield in the second - don't look now, but Lyle is having himself a nice little season in his platoon role.  In the third, things got even better for the Jays:  Alex Rios doubled in Marco Scutaro, who had hit his own double to start the inning, and after Rios scored on a Vernon Wells grounder, Adam Lind singled and then Lyle Overbay doubled in both Lind and Wells to give the Jays the 6-0 lead.  The Jays never looked back, and added a run on an Adam Lind home run in the 5th and two more on a Rod Barajas 2-run shot in the 8th.

On the other side of the ball, Ricky Romero had a nice start for the Jays.  Romero took a shutout into the 7th and ended the game with a 7-inning, 3-run, 5 K/2 BB evening.  All runs against him were scored via the home run in the 7th, so it really was quite a good performance by the young righthander  lefthander, and nice to see him come back with a nice start. Jason Frasor and Scott Downs did a nice job closing out the game.

With a win tonight against Greinke, the Jays put themselves in a great position vis-a-vis the rest of the series.  Scott Richmond pitches tomorrow for the Jays against Luke Hochevar, and Doc Halladay goes Sunday against Kyle Davies.   Let's go Jays!

Jays of the Day are Romero, Overbay, Wells, and Scutaro.  And many thanks to Tom for carrying things whilst I was away.  It's great to be back!