Happy Birthday Bill Caudill

Bill Caudill turns 53 today. For those that don't remember back that far Caudill was our B.J. Ryan for the 80's He came up with the Cubs, then went to Seattle and became one of the top closers in baseball. Then he went over to Oakland and got 36 saves in his season there. After the 1984 season the Jays traded Dave Collins and Alfredo Griffin for him.

Caudill was agent Scott Boras first client and he got a $7 million dollar, 5 year contract for Bill. That was a fortune at the time and course we know that aren't many long term closer contracts that work out well. For the team at least. He had a good first season with the Jays 2.99 ERA and 14 saves. The next season didn't go so well. With arm troubles, he finished with a 6.19 ERA and 2 saves. During the off-season the Jays released him.

He signed with the A's but had shoulder troubles and left baseball and has worked with Boras since. He finished with 106 career saves.