Best and Worst Seasons for Jay DH's According to WAR

The next of our look at best and worst season by Wins Above Replacement. which, of course, was an idea stolen from Amazin' Avenue, the Met's SB Nation Blog. The numbers are taken from Sean Smith's WAR Database.

Here are the best seasons by Jay designated hitters:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

1

1993

Paul Molitor

5.7

2

1992

Dave Winfield

3.7

3

1994

Paul Molitor

3.3

4

1984

Cliff Johnson

2.4

5

1977

Ron Fairly

2.0

6

2007

Frank Thomas

2.0

7

1988

Rance Mulliniks

1.9

8

1978

Rico Carty

1.7

9

1983

Cliff Johnson

1.7

10

2002

Josh Phelps

1.7

And the 11 worse seasons:

Rank

Year

Player

WAR

30

1991

Rance Mulliniks

-0.3

31

1988

Cecil Fielder

-0.3

32

1979

Rico Carty

-0.4

33

2004

Josh Phelps

-0.6

34

1983

Jorge Orta

-0.7

35

1991

Pat Tabler

-0.7

36

1985

Al Oliver

-0.7

37

2008

Matt Stairs

-0.9

38

199

Willie Greene

-1.0

39

1984

Willie Aikens

-1.1

40

1997

Joe Carter

-1.2

Quick thoughts:

  • That was Joe Carter's last year with the Jays and it wasn't good.
  • Mulliniks and Tabler were a platoon at DH in 1991 and neither were any good that year.
  • You think Willie Aikens was poor as a DH, you should have seen him play first base.
  • Yeah, Stairs was that bad last year.
  • I figured we'd have some better seasons from our DH's.
  • Molitor's other season, as a Jay was 0.3. His three years as a Jays went Terrific, Good and pretty bad.
  • Our two best seasons for DH's were our two World Series years, though after this year Adam Lind will likely have the number two spot.
  • I loved Cliff Johnson, he was one of those guys that was happy to a major leaguer. He was terrific against lefties.