FanPost

Snider: Head Definitely Screwed on Straight

Love this article about Snider. Looks like a 21-year old with great talent and the maturity to develop it.

Snider tempering enthusiasm

Toronto (66-80) at Tampa Bay (74-73), 7:38 p.m. ET

NEW YORK -- Travis Snider is not going to make the same mistake he made earlier this season. After enjoying the first multihomer showing of his career, launching a pair of towering shots inside the Metrodome on April 15, the Blue Jays rookie admittedly got caught up in his success.

"Things definitely went downhill after that series," Snider said. "I think that was more pressure that I put on myself, trying to do too much. I think that's been something I've battled with all year."

On Tuesday night against the Yankees, the 21-year-old Snider once again launched two home runs in one game, giving him eight blasts in only 62 games with Toronto. Both long balls sailed deep into the second deck above right field at Yankee Stadium, but Snider spent little time admiring the homers, opting instead for a quick sprint around the bases.

As impressive as the pair of homers were, Snider has been laboring since being recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas in August, and he does not want to put too much emphasis on one night of positive results. Snider is trying to focus on finding a consistent approach in the batter's box, and he knows one game does not mean his work is done.

"I know I'm just trying to keep as consistent as possible," Snider said, "and as level-headed as possible -- no matter if you go 2-for-4 or 0-for-4. It's got to be the same mentality -- hungry and go out there the next day and try to do better."

After his two homers against the Twins in April, Snider slumped at the plate, hitting just .225 with no homers over his next 26 games before being sent back to the Minor Leagues. Since being promoted again last month, the left-handed-hitting outfielder has clubbed five homers, but he's only managed a .222 batting average.

"There's some adjustments that we're making," said Snider, who was a first-round pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft. "At the plate, it's been a battle. It's something that I know, to be successful at this level, the adjustments need to be made. It's showing signs here or there, but you don't want to get caught up in the success too much.

"You want to be positive and take the positives and learn from the negatives and just move forward."