Saturday Bits

Curious about the Elias Sports Bureau rankings? Eddie Bajek reverse-engineered the rankings and his findings are here, scroll down the page to see the different positions. Of interest to us:

If you are interested in the rules for free agent compensation, MLB Trade Rumors has a short primer on the subject.

I didn't mention this when it came out, but the Jays moved up a spot in Beyond the Boxscore's Power Rankings. We moved from 8th to 7th best team in baseball. Unfortunately, the top 3 teams are the top 3 teams in our division.

If you like Ozzie Guillen quotes, SBNation.com has good ones from yesterday.

I don't often read Ken Rosenthal, but apparently he is trying to pick a fight with Sabermetricians and bloggers over who should be the AL MVP. Now the overwhelming choice among those that study baseball is Joe Mauer (of course), but Rosenthal, for whatever reason, thinks he should he should argue. Crashburn Alley takes a look at the 'debate' here. It is very funny read. Personally as soon as someone takes uses the 'bloggers in their basements' line, I think they automatically lose any respect I might have given their opinion.