Jays pick up pitcher Merkin Valdez

Press release:

BLUE JAYS ACQUIRE VALDEZ

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have completed a deal with the San Francisco Giants acquiring RHP MERKIN VALDEZ for cash considerations.

        VALDEZ, 28, appeared in 48 games for the Giants last season, posting a 2-1 record with a 5.66 ERA in his first full season in the Major Leagues. The 6-5, 232 lb. native of San Cristobal, Dominican Republic is 3-1 with a 5.24 ERA in 67 career games, including one start, all with San Francisco.

You can check out his numbers here. He throws mid 90's, but misses the strike zone too much. If they can get him to throw strikes he could be good. Another arm for the pen.