FanPost

The Future of Dustin McGowan

I know I have mentioned this in the past however is it just me that thinks that McGowan's future should be at the end of games rather then at the beginning of them?

The first reason this move pops into mind is the shoulder woes he's experienced over the last year and a half, and a way to protect that shoulder is to give him less of a work load (not to mention the Tommy John surgery he had a few years back).  If that is not reason enough, there is no need to push him into the rotation because the Jays have a lot of starting options as it is, so why risk having Dusin re-injure himself when there are other capable options to start games.  The third reason is that a contending team requires a legitimate intimidating closer, and Dustin can be just that (I think he could be similar to a Jonathan Papelbon in Boston).

McGowan has 4 plus pitches, if he was focused on closing he could amp-up the fastball into the high 90's, doing this would make his change more effective and he could really pick his spots when to toss in a curve or slider.  Before his shoulder woes he had been showing improvement with his control as well (also a major plus for a closer).

Dustin has the intimidating pitches to be an effective closer he also has the seemingly intimidating look to be an effective closer with those mutton chop sideburns and 'wild thing' glasses.  In my mind the Jays would be wise to try the bullpen route with Dustin rather then having him back in the rotation (at least in 2010).  If Dustin proves healthy after the 2010 season in the bullpen and if the need is there in the rotation then it's possible that he could slide back into the rotation in 2011 however I personally think (more just a hunch) that Dustin can be an extremely successful (even dominant) MLB closer.

Thoughts?