FanPost

Mastrionni (and Emaus)

How about Mastrionni in centre-field? He hit .301 last year in New Hampshire, with a .390 obp and 46 steals. So far in the winter leagues he has hit a modest .581(18-31), with a .639 Obp.  You have to get excited about that even though the sample size is small enough to make it meaningless. I see him as a Gardner/Ellsbury type and I think given the Jays need for both speed and OBP, he should be given every chance to earn the job at some point next year, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. (http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l135&t=p_pbp&pid=518991)

I also think Emaus should be given a legitimate chance to DH (If Mastrionni's in cf and Bautista is at third) or play third (If Mastrionni's in triple A). He hit .290 with a .397 obp last year with 13 sb(only 2 cs) with 15 home runs. We have lots of power but I want to see some speed, but especially obp in the 1,2, and 9 spots in the order. I think both Emaus and Mastrionni should be given serious looks next year. (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=458587)