Ok, It Is Official.

Just got the press release, a full hour and a half before the press conference. Here it is:

FARRELL NAMED 12th BLUE JAYS MANAGER

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS announce that JOHN FARRELL has been appointed the Club's 12th manager in its history succeeding Cito Gaston.

FARRELL, 48, comes to Toronto with an extensive background in baseball, most recently serving as the Boston Red Sox pitching coach for the last four seasons. The Monmouth Beach, New Jersey native guided the Red Sox staff to an ERA title in 2007 and overall the club posted a 4.25 ERA in his four seasons to rank 5th in the AL. While with the Red Sox, was selected as the 2009 recipient of the Red Sox Good Guy Award as voted by the Boston Chapter of the BBWAA.

The former Major League pitcher served as the Indians Director of Player Development from November 2001 through the 2006 season, overseeing all elements of the Indians player development system, including the organization's Latin American programs in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic. Farrell also supervised the signing of all minor league free agents while assisting in Major League player acquisitions. Subsequently the Indians were named "Organization of the Year" in 2003 & 2004 by USA Today's Sports Weekly and were also ranked the number one farm system in professional baseball in 2003 by Baseball America.

Following his playing career, Farrell spent five seasons (1997-2001) with Oklahoma State University as an Assistant Coach/Pitching and Recruiting Coordinator after completing his Bachelor's Degree in 1996. A second round pick by Cleveland in 1984, the right-hander spent eight seasons in the Major Leagues, posting a 36-46 record with a 4.56 ERA in 116 games, including 109 starts.

To hear first reaction from General Manager Alex Anthopoulos and Manager John Farrell, go to bluejays.com.

Tom Back:  Surprise.