FanPost

C/1B/3B

A random thought I had the other day:

Rumour has it that the Los Angeles Dodgers are just about done with Russell Martin and want to move in a different direction.  If so, he would be a very nice option to pair with J.P. Arencibia.  Martin also has been playing a little bit of 3B recently with the Dodgers, so he could not only be the primary C but a backup for 3B as well.

The other thing that I would like to do is pick up Nick Swisher from the New York Yankees, on the assumption they land one of the premier OF and are thinking about moving him (his OBP would be a very nice addition to the Jays lineup).  Perhaps one way to do that would be to work some sort of sign-and-trade with the Yankees involving Scott Downs (presumably one of their top targets), where we resigned Downs to a contract the Yankees (and Downs obviously) wanted, and then flip him for Swisher.

This would give us the following options when filling out the lineup:

C: Martin, Arencibia, Molina

1B: Swisher, Adam Lind, Arencibia, Martin

3B: Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Bautista, Martin

DH: Lind

I like Swisher's OBP and versatility, and Martin's somewhat unrealized potential (we also might see some of the power come back with a move out of Los Angeles.

Thoughts?