Jays Add Luis Rivera to Coaching Staff

Here is the Press Release:

BLUE JAYS ADD RIVERA TO STAFF

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have appointed LUIS RIVERA to the position of Major League Coaching Assistant as part of John Farrell's staff.

RIVERA, 46, recently completed his first season in the Blue Jays organization serving as Manager of the New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Eastern League (AA). Rivera led the team to the playoffs where they were defeated in the Eastern Division final after a 79-62 regular season record.

The Cidra, Puerto Rico native appeared in 781 Major League games from 1986 through 1998 with Montreal, Boston, New York (NL), Houston and Kansas City. The right-handed hitting infielder then began his coaching career with the Cleveland Indians organization in 2000 where he spent ten seasons before joining the Blue Jays. Rivera captured South Atlantic League Manager of the Year honours in 2003 before later joining Cleveland's Major League staff as the First Base and Infield Coach from 2006 through 2009. Including the 2010 season, he now owns a minor league managerial record of 325-235 (.580).

Tom back: I guess for those who were wondering if the Jays needed a Spanish speaking coach, we now have one. What his actual duties will be, I don't know, since we have the normal allotment of coaches already. But there isn't anything in the rules that says we can't have more. He was a middle infielder in the majors so he can likely help working with the infielders as well as be an interpreter when needed.

Added: Richard Griffin thwips that if Wakamatsu were to leave the team, say for the Met's manager job, Lovullo would move to bench coach and Rivera would be first base coach.