FanPost

RF Option: Justin Upton

Just read the Arizona is listening on Justin Upton, knowing AA's due diligence motto I'm sure he's been in contact or will be.  Could the Jays have what it takes to land a young star like Upton?  He plays a position of need and is affordable as he is just starting a 6 year $51M deal (not too bad for a rising star that's only 23).

The Jays have a few options to make offers to Arizona depending on what they are looking for:

1) Prospects: Drabek, D'Arnaud and Marisnick - they get a MLB ready top pitching prospect, one of the better catching prospects who's probably a year away and a toolsy OF prospect to eventually replace Upton

2) MLB/Prospect Mix: Cecil, Arencibia, Emaus - they get a former top prospect/current successful MLB starter in Cecil, Arencibia has MLB time under his belt and lots of power and Emaus is close to the majors and can be a 2B or utility option as soon as 2011.  In this scenario I'd think the Jays would have to also re-sign John Buck.

3) MLB'ers: Travis Snider and David Purcey - not sure I like moving Snider out as I think him and Upton would be the core to the lineup when the Jays are successful but not totally against it.  Purcey gives Arizona a much needed bullpen arm with upside.  This scenario would see Bautista moving to either 3B or LF, still leaving a hole in the lineup but ultimatiely I like Upton's ceiling over Snider's so i'd still do it.

What other scenario's are there?  anyone?

Ideally I'd like to move the prospects only for Upton but not sure what Arizona's targets are in any deal if it were to happen.