FanShot

Bullpen catchers

Reading this YardBarker article about the Cubs bullpen catcher getting busted led me to this 2009 Minnesota Star Tribune article on the Twins bullpen catcher. What I found interesting is that these bullpen catchers typically only make "anywhere from $20,000 to $35,000 a year". This seems really low to me for someone working with the players on an MLB team. Sure, he also gets $89 a day meal allowance, which easily bumps his total income up 50%, but with life on the road in baseball much of that would get eaten up by actually having to eat out. Sure, you can probably find all kinds of former players to do this job, but still for an industry with so much money in it and working with multi-million-dollar players, you'd think teams could cough up more than this. How much do the trainers and minor-league coaches make I wonder? On the subject, who do the Jays have as bullpen catcher(s)?