FanShot

How much is Jeter worth?

I think we can all agree that 15 million for Derek Jeter is overpaid. But I generally don't pay much attention to standard salaries in baseball, so I was wondering what Jeter is actually worth? Additionally, I know many of the young, good SSs are underpaid because they're under control. In short, there are too many unknowns for someone with my limited knowledge to hazard a guess. So I figured I'd ask here instead of in the Yankees blog, because I love the Jays and I wanted a slightly more unbiased opinion. So, would a 36 year old free agent SS with Jeter's numbers command even 10 million/year...5 million/year...less? Edit: My guesstimate was around 5 mill or so.