You Gave Me the Word, I Finally Heard: Top 40 Blue Jay Prospects, Tom's Just Missed Out List

Hugo listed some of his favorites that didn't make our 40 man prospect list back here,  so now it is my turn. As with Hugo's list, there are only a couple of these guys that I had on my original list. The rest are players that I just think are interesting and could, in the future, make our list.

If you haven't looked at our top 40 you might want to before checking into these.  You can find them at these links: 40-31, 30-2120-11, and 11-1.

  • Nestor Molina: Nestor was an international free agent signing back in 2007 out of Venezuela. In four seasons in the minors he has a 15-4 record and a 2.22 ERA. This past year he started out at Lansing going 8-2 with a 3.17 ERA mostly in relief and moved up to Dunedin near the end of the season.  Molina hasn't walked many, 1.7/9 innings, hasn't given up many home runs 0.3/9 and strikes out enough, 7.2/9 in his time in the minors. The Jays have been using him mostly in relief to build up his innings slowly. He turns 22 in January and likely will be moved up to New Hampshire next season.  Give him a couple of years and he might be in the Jay's bullpen. Nestor was 4-1 with a 2.59 ERA in the Venezuela Winter League.
  • Stephen McQuail: Our 36th round draft pick this year, he signed quick enough to get into 50 games at Auburn. Playing the corner outfield spots he'd have to hit very well to move up the ladder. He was playing  2B at Canisius Junior College when we drafted him.  He has a lot of power, the question is if he'll he for enough of an average to make the majors.
  • Chuck Huggins: A lefty starter, Chuck went  11-4, 3.47 in Dunedin. He was a little old for the level at 25 but moved up to New Hampshire at the end of the season.
  • Lance Durham: Lance was our 14th round pick in 2009, his dad was Cubs outfielder Leon Durham. Lance had a good season, his second time around at Auburn, hitting .256/.371/.468 with 9 home runs. Lance is a left-handed hitter and played first base last year. He is 22 now, so he would have to start moving up the ladder but should start next year at Lansing or Dunedin.
  • Oliver Dominguez:  Dominguez was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2006 from the Dominican Republic. He hit .248/.360/.370 with 25 steals at three levels last year.  He is just 21 and can play 2B, SS and 3B.
  • Ryan Schimpf:  Schimpf was a 5th round pick in 2009 but hasn't hit much yet. He went .237/.323/.415 splitting time between Lansing and Dunedin. A second baseman, at 22 he still has time to learn to hit.
  • Misaul Diaz: A right-handed pitcher from the Dominican. Between the Gulf Coast League and Auburn, Misaul had a 1-5 record with a 2.62 ERA in 13 starts. He didn't give up any home runs, walked just 1.7 per 9 and struck out 8.6. He turns 21 Monday. He should start the year in Lansing and after a year of full season ball he might make his way onto the prospect lists next year.
  • Gabriel Cenas: Cenas is a 16 year old third basemen the Jays signed out of Venezuela this year for $700,000. He is 6'1" and 175, pretty big for a 16 year old. Won't know much about him until he plays some professional ball but they like his bat and his throwing arm.
  • Santiago Nessy: Santiago just turned 18, he was an international free agent signing in 2009. A catcher, he played in the Dominican Summer League last season, hitting .248/.327/.376. He threw out 25% of base runners there. He is said to be pretty good defensively and there is a lot of potential in his bat.
  • Deivy Estrada: Deivy is another teenager, signed out of Venezuela in 2009. He pitched in the Gulf Coast League last year, going 4-3 with a 3.02 ERA, in 12 games, 8 starts. He walked 3.5/9 and struck out 7.0/9. He could turn out to be good, but is a long way from the majors.

The title comes from the Beatles 'Getting Better', which seems to fit the Jays minor league system. It keeps getting better.