FanPost

How about Hoffman?

The 5th starter suggests that the Jays should go after Hoffman despite his awful 2010 (ERA of .589) particularly because he could be a mentor to a young bullpen.(http://5thstarter.blogspot.com/2010/12/santanthopoulous-wants-closer-get-hoff.html)

I'd love to see a one year deal with a team option for a second year. I agree the Jays should go after him, but also because I think he has a strong chance to be a dominating closer again, and could either help the jays next year or become trade bait similar to Gonzalez.

His season seamed to be a bit of an aberration given that he had an
ERA of 1.83 in 2009, (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hoffmtr01.shtml)
and
he had a great second half and an awful first half...
he gave up 8 HR's and and batters hit .306 and had an OPS of 1.019 in the first half.

(http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hoffmtr01&year=2010&t=p)

In the second half hitters hit .208 with an OPS of .544 against him.

Sure he's old at 43 and correspondingly comes with risk but the second half numbers and his 2009 numbers suggest he is still capable of dominating.