Bluebird Links and Another Player Poll

ST. LOUIS - MAY 23: Felipe Lopez #3 of the St. Louis Cardinals watches his walk-off single to center field against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Busch Stadium on May 23, 2010 in St. Louis, Missouri. The Cardinals beat the Angels 6-5 in 10 innings. (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)

Based on Tom's last few posts, another player poll.  The Drunks make the case for...Felipe Lopezhere.  He'd be a nothing signing really, but if you could sign him to an E.E. type deal, why not?

The Jays could use another guy who hits left

Well, yeah.  Not the best argument since half the guys on the team hit right handers better than lefties.  Still, Lopez is a switch hitter so that's good.

They could use a guy who can either play second or third-- Lopez does both.

This is key.  If Lawrie isn't ready to play this year, we have a hole at one of these spots.  Instead of moving Bautista to 3rd, why not take a flier on a guy like Lopez?  He'd be cheap at probably less than $3M.

They could use a guy who, if Davis becomes the fourth outfielder, can leadoff

It would be nice to have another guy that could get on base in front of the power bats.  Good points by the Drunks I think.  Lopez was pathetic last year, however, he also had a terrible BABIP that was much lower than his career rate.  Bill James has him at a .270/.344/.391 line for 2011.  That OBA is better than all but one 2010 Blue Jay so that would be welcome at the top of the order.

Then there's the attitude questions.  I don't know much, but apparently he was pretty much run out of the Cardinal's locker room at the end of the season.  They released him even though he was a Type B.  Guess the comp. pick wasn't worthwhile for them.  In the last three years, he's played for six teams so maybe that speaks to the attitude problems as well.  I think if he could be had for cheap, pick him up as insurance.  He's versatile (can play 2nd, 3rd...even outfield in a pinch).  Worse comes to worse, Lawrie is ready and the Jays have a worthwhile utility player for a year.

Links after the Jump.  Have a safe and happy holidays everyone!  My next post will probably be Wednesday maybe depending on how much is happening next week.

Jays Links

Alex Anthopolous Puts Stock in Baseball Buzz From Winning | Jays Journal
Mat Germain thinks that if the Jays make the playoffs, attendance will soar.

Blue Jays committed to long-term development of Minor Leaguers | bluejays.com: News
Jonathan Mayo writes about organizational depth. Also compares MLB.com's preseason and postseason picks for organizational players of the year.

Can the Blue Jays Pull Toronto Out of Sporting Hell? | 500 Level Fan
500 Level Fan compares playoff appearances and championships of all four major NA sports between cities. Toronto doesn't fare so well.

Top 50 Jays Prospects, Jays Journal Edition: #41 Daniel Barnes | Jays Journal
Number 41 is Daniel Barnes. Number 42, Matt Daly is here.

Chacin Signing Means Walk Down Olfactory Memory Lane | Blog Archive | Getting Blanked
Gustavo Chacin cologne commercials. These are awesome.

Around the League

The History of the Highest Paid Player in Baseball | December
This is an article from last year, but it's good stuff. Interesting time line.

My 2011 Hall of Fame ballot
Ken Davidoff summarizes his Hall ballot. Some other writers should take note. Alomar, Bagwell, Blyleven, Brown, Larkin, Edgar Martinez, McGwire, Raines, Trammell and Walker.

A belated retrospective at the past decade of baseball | Hardball Times
Jeffrey Gross with a sabermetric summary of the past decade.

Offseason Spending Details By Team: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
A breakdown of off-season spending so far. Get ready go scroll to the bottom for the Jays spot.

Joe Posnanski " Posts The Agony of Defeat "
Joe Posnanski summarizes the worst 32 defeats in the history of professional sports.

How Much Money Should Teams Pay For An Extra Win? | Blog Archive | Getting Blanked |
Parkes looks at reliever contracts.

Pinnacle Moments in 2010 MLB Season - Photos - SI.com
SI has a photo journey of the top 20 moments of the year.

Constructing A 25-Man Roster Of Free Agents: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
Ben Nicholson-Smith puts together a team comprising only players that are still available. How do you think this team would do?

Shiny Toy Portends Doom for Jayson Werth in D.C. | Blog Archive | Getting Blanked
A graph of Werth's hometown hits last year - but graphed as though they were hit at the Nationals stadium. Maybe he won't hit so many this year?