Hall of Fame Poll: Fred McGriff

I'll admit I have a soft spot for McGriff, he was a favorite of mine back when he was a Jay. When we traded him, I told a friend that we traded away a Hall of Famer. After his first year on the ballot, he is a long way from that, he was on 21.5% of the ballots.

He had a terrific 19 year career, including 5 years with the Jays. He hit 493 home runs, 1550 RBI and a.284/.377/.509 line. He is number 26 on the career home run list, 41 on RBI and 40 on walks. He made 5 All-Star teams and 3 Silver Slugger awards. He was on MVP ballots 8 teams, but then never finished higher than 4th in the voting.

On the downside, he was a first baseman and not great on defense. I'm not sure he was ever thought as the best first baseman in the league.